Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hail!! Hail!!-- It was a Grand Ole Time!

LOL Sorry I am starting off with a chuckle or two but I am in that kind of mood. Lovie and I went camping on vacation for nearly a couple weeks and we went to one of our favorite places, which is the mountains of Tennessee. I tend to think of it as home because it feels like that everytime we go back there. I've been going to the Great Smoky Mountains since I was a kid of about 7 years old. My first trip there was with my grandmother and a carful of cousins back in 1971. I was awe struck then and still the peacefulness and beauty of the mountains always brings me back. I will retire there eventually, at least that is the plan.

It was nice being in the mountains again but more than that I always enjoy the friendliness and southern hospitality of the people. It is nice being in an area of the country where people are actually polite and have manners. People greet you with warmth and mean it and if you ever need any help, you wouldn't have to look far. It would be nice to be able to capture that and spread it to the rest of the world, wouldn't it? My home turf is far from this reality. Not my actual community I live in but the surrounding areas of the suburban and city sections which are being run over more and more everyday with gang activity and shootings and drugs. It's sad to see really and makes me want to head south even more than I already do.

Vacation was delightful even with two bad storms which ended up damaging my beautiful truck. I have about a 1000 dimple dents in my truck's body all over from golf ball size hail. It busted my windshield and my two side rain shields in the process. Never in my life have I ever witnessed hail storms that severe or that large! But I am not fretting about it, insurance will cover the damage so my baby will be good as new once again.

Lovie and I really did enjoy our trip. We experienced several new things that we had never done before. We went to the Ripley's Aquarium which was awesome. The shark tank alone was worth the price of admission. We went to Dollywood and got to tour Dolly's personal tour bus. We both rode the Big Woody and it was quite an experience for us!! Before you go directly to the gutter, the Big Woody happens to be a wooden race track where you drive these race cars up into a spiral and back down again. The wooden track makes it unique and loud and unbelievably fun! Lovie and I rode double and when we were coming down from the spiral, I guess I didn't realize I had brakes so I didn't use any! What an exciting ride it was! Besides riding Woody, we went geocaching and found over 40 geocaches that were hidden in pretty unique places. I guess you could say some places were off the beaten path and that made it more fun to search for them. We tried some new places to eat which was great and we checked out a possible area for when we move there. When the right thing comes along we will hightail it to the hills for sure.

All in all it was a great trip. We do enjoy camping and being in the great outdoors. I enjoyed coming back home and sleeping in my own comfortable bed though too! That is always a plus. Before we left it was cooler and raining every single day. In the mountains we went directly into 90 degree summer weather and when we got home it followed us here! We had quite a mess cleaning up the yard and getting it into tip top shape- mowing, weeding, trimming, mulching and planting, but it is looking way better now.

Until next time...

Bear Hugs!
PolarB :)

7 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

What a great way to begin the Summer. Glad you faired OK during the storms, though your vehicle did not. Welcome back to the real world!

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

PolarB:

I hear you. Camping is fun, but it is always a pleasant experience to get back home and into a normal routine again.

Skinny said...

Thanks for the tour report. That wooden racetrack thing sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

BryM said...

I can relate to what you said about the mountains....there are few places in the country that are as beautiful as the mountains -- it seems to me that the pace of life itself is more [peaceful?] there. And we in the South always welcome folks from up North who WANT to be here and LIKE the area, so come on down!! :-)

the yellow fringe said...

I will be going to Tennessee for the first time later this year. It is one of the only states I haven't made it to. Sounds like I will get to see nice things.

Bupu2 said...

OOOOh. Sounds like a great place to go, minus the hail storms. Glad the truck will be ok. I'm not sure I would want to come home though. I'm so glad you and Lovie had a good trip. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your summer.

Bella said...

hey PB, my son recently got married in Gatlinburg and I traveled there for the weekend. I loved the place, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Didn't get to spend enough time checking out the Smoky Mountains; their wedding was outside at Highlands on the ski mountain, the view was the perfect backdrop for the outdoor wedding. Lovely place! Glad you enjoyed yourselves.