Sunday, May 1, 2011

Oct 1st 2005 First Blog Post

In honor of Blogstream closing tonight, I wanted to repost my very first blog I wrote back on October 1st, 2005. It was the start of something pretty wonderful which led me to make friends with vitual strangers who become a very close knit community of close friends. There will never be another blogging community quite the same, as the ole Stream had a touch of magic to it that was undeniable. Anyway.... here it is, enjoy.

Oct 1st, 2005

Good Morning!

Ahhhhh, need another cup of coffee to get me going. Wow,I am sooo glad it is the weekend..

One of my most recent discoveries has been this blogging- I got an email from Angela Shelton the other day, who by the way is a most amazing woman for getting her voice out there about sexual abuse of children... keep plugging away Angela- even if it's only one voice at a time- we will all be heard until it cannot be ignored anymore....

I'm getting off track here... any who....one of the links on her website was Rosie O'Donnell's blog site, which I did not know about. Ro and Angela are friends so I decided to check it out.

A lot of the site is Ro's political views which she feels very passionately about- which everyone is entitled to their own opinion... some I agree with, some I don't - that's the beauty of having your own mind so you can make intelligent decisions for yourself. Take what you like and leave the rest....

Anyway, I was reading some past blog she had written and came across one where she was talking about being in a store shopping for clothes and she noticed a man came in who was apparently mentally challenged. you know the ones that society tends to back away from because they deem them crazy.....People have fear of things they know nothing about... Millions of people suffer from schizophrenia but they are out on the streets because unfortunately they don't have someone in their lives to help them and care about them enough to make sure they are taking their meds in order to function in society.

Anyway, Ro wrote about going up and speaking to him and looking into his eyes and seeing the person who was deep inside and treating them with respect. Treating him like a human being that he probably does not find in others too often...which is a shame that we as a society do not take care of one another and have respect for another life...

In reading this I was moved by her compassion. Ro may be a lot of things to many people and some of them people are not always nice and pleasant...which is unfortunate, but imagine how hard it must be to be in the public eye and have every move you make criticized or blown out of proportion all in the name of selling those rag mags...I applaude her courage to live her life whether anyone is looking or not.. The way I see it, Ro is being real and true to who she is- she has such a big heart and she has been through way much more than we the public eye will ever know... You can tell she was deeply affected by her mother's death and still is to this day... if you go to her site and read the blog- you can read between the lines of what has been written and get a glimpse of who the woman really is- she has a beautiful soul and I love seeing the pictures of her kids and the way she has opened her heart for them... Saving little lives and making a difference to them.... I only wish all children in this world had that same chance...

Anyway... Ro is actually the one who inspired me to start my own blog... so hence- here we go.......

Til we meet again,
PolarB

6 comments:

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

PolarB:

There are some people around who will make attempts to befriend individuals they think are without friends. I recently read of a student who went out of his way to befriend another depressed student who was being bullied. That student was contemplating suicide and was saved by this friend in need who protected him from the bullies at the school.

PolarB said...

Yes Whit I have read that same story also. I try to make it a point to make eye contact with and speak to people that most of society generally ignores. They are human beings and just a smile from somebody or a kind word can make all the difference in the world to them. I figure if Jesus went out of his way to talk to the lepers that everyone else shunned then I can do the same.

BryM said...

*sigh
I wish that I still had my very first post there, but since it was so crappy I got rid of it long ago!

Slick said...

Good to find you here PolarB! I remember my first post for The Stream. Trying to forget it!

ICE said...

Excellent blog and although I don't much care for Ro... you gave me a different perspective on her and I applaud her and you.

thanks

Mister Ornery said...

Strange, PolarB. I tried to leave a comment on your Mother's Day post and Blogger wouldn't let me. Wanted me to log in again and then wouldn't allow me to do so on account of the fact that I was already logged in. No matter. I am trying to adopt Sherry's work on patience and look at the bright side. This way I wound up at your first Blogstream post which I had missed when we were there. I call it twice the reading pleasure. Your Mother's Day post reminded me how fortunate I am at my age to have had a special mother all these years.