Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Love of Camping...

Good morning Peeps!

Hmmmm... what shall I write about today? We have a camping trip coming up soon and I always look forward to that for many reasons. One is because we are outdoors most of the time and enjoying nature and all it has to offer. I love to hike so when we go to the mountains, I can hike until my legs fall off and that is just fine with me. The mountains can be so beautiful and being in the woods was always a great love of mine since I was a kid. Of course when we go hiking in the mountains now, we have to always beware of the dangers such as bears and snakes. We've had experiences with both. Now I have a bear bell that hangs on my backpack gear to give warning that we are approaching in case there is one in the area. Always be on the alert to stay safe and keep your head up while taking in all the magnificent scenery.

I just adore the sound of a mountain stream trickling and we always take plenty of time to explore and play and climb a bit on the rocks. We taken a swim in an ice cold mountain stream too and it is refreshing and exhilarating to say the least! The mountains and streams are so soothing and it feeds my spirit. Sometimes I think it would be very cool to be a pioneer and live off the land whenever we go to the mountains. I could totally survive in a little cabin in the woods, with a garden full of wholesome vegetables and herbs, a few chickens and livestock and you could enjoy the good peaceful life. I know it would not be all fun and games and living off the land would require a lot of hard work. But hard work can be satisfying if you are bearing the fruits of your labor. Just like all the hard work we put into our gardens and when the flowers bloom and give us the beauty it beholds, we sit back and smile and are proud of our accomplishment from all the hard work we put into it. There is great satisfaction in that.

Another reason I love to go camping is it is my down time to focus on writing. I have a Neo writer that I take with me and the reason I like that so much is it only requires batteries and they last a really long time. I can go sit in the middle of the woods somewhere or on a rock by a stream and write to my little heart's desire. It holds up to 8 different projects and when I get home all I have to do is download it into my computer. So I really look forward to working on some of my projects while we are camping. It's great for rainy days too because I can still sit outside on the cabin porch and write and write and write to the soothing sound of rain.

I've always loved camping since I was a young kid. I have a very fond memory of my first camping experience and it probably is what started my love of the great outdoors. When I was 7 years old, there was a family that wanted to adopt me. They had a son who was a couple years older than me so I would go over and play at their house every time my father did work for their neighbor. Over time they got to know me and they asked if they could take me on their family camping trip. It was the first time I had ever been camping and I fell in love with it right away. We got to grill outside and have campfires, Robbie and I went hiking and went rock climbing and I had so much fun I didn't want to ever leave. At night I got to sleep in the top bunk and it rained one night and the sound of the gentle rain on the roof of the camper was so soothing and I believe started another great love of mine, hearing the gentle rain falling softly. Every time I hear rain like that it takes me back to that fond memory and good experience in my life.

I camped with friends when I was a teenager, rowing out to a little island somewhere and pitching our tents, getting soaked in the rains and frozen to the bone, but still all in all it is always fun. Lovie and I have camped since the very beginning of our relationship. Many times we would take off and sleep in the truck before we bought a tent. Our camping arrangements have changed over the years as we get older from trucks to tents to camping cabins but still we love camping. One day I am going to buy one of those nice RV camping rigs and we will go camping in style. But for now we love our cabins.

Well I suppose that's about it for today.... ta ta and Happy St Patricks day!

Bear Hugs!
PolarB ;)

4 comments:

John The Squabbler said...

I'm glad to find you here, PolarB. The more folks I find from Blogstream the better, I think.

My dream camping trip involves a not-very-large RV, perhaps a Rialta. My Dad has a 26 foot Chevy conversion that I find a bit awkward (though it is old - '79, I think.) I would most likely be traveling alone, and I would see parts of this country I never have seen, as well as revisiting a few others of cherished memory.

Love the look of your page.

Whit's Whittlings2 said...

PolarB:

I was in my 20s before I took our family on the first camping trip - to Yosemite. I got a list of the paraphernalia to take on a camping trip and bought almost everything on the list. In addition, I packed along a lot of canned goods and groceries. When we got to our campground, I found restrooms and a general store nearby. :)

Camping and hiking are fun activities, but my wife now prefers timeshares to camping.

PolarB said...

Hey John great seeing you here! Glad you found your way here and now I have found you as well. Yes I would love to travel and see alot of the United Staes through camping.

Bear Hugs!
PolarB ;)

PolarB said...

Whit, we used to take way too much all the time at first too now we have it down to a fine art. I think that is true as you get older the more comforts you want.. We love our condo we use on the beach..but we still enjoy camping just as much.

Bear Hugs!
PolarB ;)